Traditional Christmas dinner usually features turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and vegetables. All these dishes are yum, but they can make Christmas dinners feel so heavy and rich. So much so that by the end of the evening you might find yourself loosening your belt! No shame, we’ve all been there, it’s Christmas!
But why not shake things up a bit this year and make something untraditional! That’s right, I said it, untraditional! Untraditional and light but still yummy and packed with flavour, a beet salad!
Beets are the signature and star of this salad. Not only are beets red and therefore reminiscent of Christmas, but they are also packed with vitamins and minerals.
Beets are an excellent source of vitamin A, iron, and beta-carotene. They’re also a great source of fibre, folate, and potassium AND they contain antioxidants, called betalains, carotenoids, and flavonoids which help prevent colon cancer and heart disease.
So if you’ve ever felt guilty about having an extra helping of dessert at Christmas dinner – this year you don’t have to! The beets have you covered when it comes to nutrients making this salad is just for you!
How to Shake Up Christmas Dinner with a Beet Salad!
- 3-4 beets , spiralized
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 orange , sliced
- 3-4 cups arugula
- 1 garlic clove , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Paradis Valley Honey
- Using the Fusion Master Spiralizer Accessory, add the beets into the system and lock them into place, and spiralize into a Thatsa Bowl. For this recipe, I used the smaller zoodle option as there are two options for thickness. Repeat with remaining beets.
- Place spiralized beets in the base of the Microwave Pressure Cooker and pour orange juice and salt over the beets. Seal the pressure cooker and microwave on high power for 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave and allow pressure to release naturally until the red pressure indicator fully lowers, this can take about 4-6 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, using the Super Sonic Chopper Compact, add all the dressing ingredients and pull the string until it’s whipped up.
- Add the arugula to a bowl.
- Top with walnuts, goat cheese, orange wedges and beets.
- Add dressing
Salads are my GO TO! And I hate to say it but I am not much of a baker and not the BEST at cooking Christmas dinner, but I can whip up a mean salad. They’re simple, and I love exploring new salad recipes.
Being a mom of two girls though, I think one of my goals to end this year strong is to really get into the holiday spirit and LEARN my absolute best to make an awesome Christmas dinner.
The EASIEST way to make this yummy and nutritious salad is to grab a Fusion Master Spiralizer Accessory, for yourself! It’ll save some precious time on Christmas day so that you can spend more time with the family!
When you think of Christmas, you might not necessarily think of salads, but I promise you that this beet and arugula salad will become a part of your Christmas dinner every year and could even be a year-round favourite!
After you’ve tried this recipe, will you tell me how you liked it? What Christmas meals did you pair it with? Is it going to become a dinnertime staple? I want all the details!
Oh, and don’t forget that the shipping cutoff date to receive orders by Christmas Day is December 3rd. Order today and get that spiralizer before Christmas so that you can have an extra special Christmas Dinner with this yummy salad recipe!
Keep it simple and fresh,